Scrambling Masterclass for Runners, Isle of Skye
Combine Scrambling and Running in an epic weekend of running around on the famous Cuillin Ridge! This scrambling masterclass is for any runner looking to improve their skills on more technical terrain. Perfect for those looking to do a Skyrace, or improve their confidence on the tougher sections!
Time & Location
14 May, 09:00 – 15 May, 16:00
Sligachan, Sligachan, Isle of Skye IV47 8SW, UK
About the Event
Come out for a whole new experience of Skyrunning on the magnificent Isle of Skye. Skye is one of the most dramatic, beautiful and challenging places to run in the UK and offers us a fantastic venue to get out running and scrambling in some of the UK’s most ‘Alpine’ territory.
This course will focus on Scrambling. How do we scramble safely over territory like The Cuillin Ridge when running? Can we keep ourselves safe whilst also moving quickly over this terrain? How do we conquer our fear of height when 'running' along knife edge ridges
During the course we will be looking at:
- Scrambling technique!
- Route planning on the macro and micro scale - Guide Books and route selection
- The Cuillin ridge for runners - where and how can we access it as a runner?!
- Movement on uneven/unstable ground
- Technical ascents
- Technical descents
- Improving confidence and trust in your feet
- Improving efficiency and fluidity on rough terrain
- How to move “fast and light” on technical terrain
- Scrambling – hands on, graded scrambles, possibly with the use of a rope.
- How to practise and improve your ability on technical ground in your training
Day 1 - Scrambling Day (<10km)- will be a skilled focused day, where we look at all the skills we need to do be a safer and more efficient scrambler when running. Looking closely at key skills needed to gain confidence and efficiency on technical ground, honing in on all the skills required to move ‘fast and light’, we will spend the day not travelling too far or fast, focusing on skills.
Day 2 - Journey Day (>/=10km)- We will head into the hills onto graded, named scrambles, putting into practise the skills we covered on Day 1. We will also be looking at route choice and planning, giving you the skills to go out independently in the future. Unelss weather is poor, this day will be spent running a section of the main Cuillin Ridge.
You should leave the course with boosted skills, confidence and agility on scrambling terrain, as well as having had an epic 2 days in Skye’s famous mountains!
You will need:
- Good trail shoes
- Running clothing that you're comfortable in
- A running vest or rucksack
- At least 1 litre of water
- Sufficient food for the day - remember we are out all day, please bring plenty
- Waterproof trousers and jacket (must have taped seams and a hood)
- An insulated jacket
- Spare long sleeve top/fleece
- Emergency foil bivvy bag (NOT blanket)
- Phone (charged)
- Emergency cash (worth having)
- We may take helmets too - bring your own if you have one!
To attend the course, you need to have a good level of hill fitness, already do some trail/fell running (you don't need to be quick!!) and have some experience scrambling (this could be walking, it doesn’t need to scrambling whilst running). If you are unsure if you fit the criteria, or to see if this is the right course for you, please get in touch with me by emailing email@example.com, or give me a ring on 07808 263591.
Food and accommodation are not included in the course fee. Get in touch if you would like help or advice with either of these.
(This is not a women’s only course, anyone can come along!)
Scrambling for Runners, 14/05