Skyrunning Masterclass - 2 days - Isle of Skye
Come to Skye! The Cuillin Ridge is the perfect place to do a skyrunning course - soaring ridgelines and epic descents!
Time & Location
07 May, 09:00 – 08 May, 16:00
Sligachan, Sligachan, Isle of Skye IV47 8SW, UK
About the Event
Come out for a whole new experience of Skyrunning on the magnificent Isle of Skye. During this course we will be looking how to move on some of the most technical ground that Skyrunning takes you to. The Isle of Skye is one of the most dramatic, beautiful and challenging places to run in the UK and offers us a fantastic venue to get out running and scrambling in some of the UK’s most ‘Alpine’ territory. We may even get the chance to cover some of the infamous Cuillin Ridge!
During the course we will be looking at:
- Movement on uneven/unstable ground
- Technical ascents
- Technical descents
- Improving confidence and trust in your feet
- Improving efficiency and fluidity on rough terrain
- How to move “fast and light” on technical terrain
- Scrambling – hands on, graded scrambles, possibly with the use of a rope.
- How to practise and improve your ability on technical ground in your training
Day 1 - Skills Day (<10km) We look at all the skills we need to do a skyrunning race. Looking closely at key skills needed to gain confidence and efficiency on technical ground, honing in on all the skills required to move ‘fast and light’, we will cover all bases of skyrunning.
Day 2 - Journey Day (>/=10km) We will head into the hills onto graded, named scrambles, putting into practise the skills we covered on Day 1. We will also be looking at route choice and planning, giving you the skills to go out independently in the future.
You should leave the course with boosted skills, confidence and agility on scrambling terrain, as well as having had an epic 2 days in Skye’s famous mountains!
You will need:
- Good trail shoes
- Running clothing that you're comfortable in
- A running vest or rucksack
- At least 1 litre of water
- Sufficient food for the day - remember we are out all day, please bring plenty
- Waterproof trousers and jacket (must have taped seams and a hood)
- An insulated jacket
- Spare long sleeve top/fleece
- Emergency foil bivvy bag (NOT blanket)
- Phone (charged)
- Emergency cash (worth having)
- We may take helmets too - bring your own if you have one!
To attend the course, you need to have a good level of hill fitness, already do some trail/fell running (you don't need to be quick!!) and have some experience scrambling (this could be walking, it doesn’t need to scrambling whilst running!). If you are unsure if you fit the criteria, or to see if this is the right course for you, please get in touch with me by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or give me a ring on 07808 263591.
Food and accommodation are not included in the course fee. Get in touch if you would like help or advice with either of these.
Skyrunning Masterclass - 05/22