Winter Skills - Glen Coe - 2 Days
A 2 day course to give you all the skills you need to begin venturing safely out into the hills during winter!
Time & Location
17 Mar, 09:00 – 18 Mar, 17:00
Glencoe, Glencoe, Ballachulish PH49, UK
About the Event
This course is aimed at hillwalkers or summer mountaineers who would like to be able to enjoy the hills year round, whatever the weather or conditions. No winter experience is needed, you can be a total winter newby!
The course is based from Glencoe Village, near Ballachulish.
On each day, we will meet at 9am and spend the majority of the day in the hills (I will let you know where this will be the week before the course, but will be close to Glencoe. We will finish each day around 4pm.
The plan for this course is very dependent on the weather - if the weather is not suitable for some of the itinerary, we will work around it.
It will give you the skills to begin to move around the hills and mountains during the winter with confidence and competence.
The course will include:
- 2 days out in the magnificent hills around Glencoe
- Hire of Crampon and Ice Axe (booked at registration)
- Personal kit selection and appropriate use of kit
- Route planning and Avalanche Awareness
- Intro to winter navigation skills
- Use of an ice axe for personal movement including cutting steps, self arrest and self belay.
- Use of crampons in ascent/decent, including kicking steps.
- Emergency Procedures in the hills
This course will not include:
- Accommodation - Get in touch if you would like advice about accommodation
- Transport - Though I can help with this if you are coming by train :) - Let me know if you are coming on train!
Essential Kit for you to have
- Waterproof Jacket (WITH hood)
- Waterproof Trousers
- Insulated jacket/coat
- Fleece layer/jumper
- Mountain Boots (B2/B3, stiff bottommed boots - these can be hired at an additional cost of £30)
- Medium size rucksack (with waterproof liner, or dry bags)
- 2 x Gloves (At least 1 waterproof pair)
- Knee length gaiters (unless your boots have them inbuilt)
- Sunglasses or Sun Hat
- Buff or Balaclava
- Head torch and spare batteries
- Walking pole(s) - not essential but useful
- Food and Drink for the day
- Thermos flask is recommended so that you can have a hot drink!
- Personal Medication and First Aid Kit
- Foil survival bag
- Emergency Whistle
- Waterproof map of the area (Or non-waterproof map in waterproof cover) I will let you know which map nearer the time.
- Compass (Silva Expedition Type 4 is recommended)
- Snow shovel (not essential but useful)
Essential Kit that can be hired (bring your own if you have them!)
- Crampons (12 point, with anti-balling plate)
- Ice Axe – 50 – 65cm, straight walking axe These 3 peices of kit can be booked at checkout!
- Helmet (Suitable for Climbing/Mountaineering)
Get in touch if you would like more details. Each course is designed around the individuals in the group and can be flexible to different experience and skill levels.
I also run WOMEN’S WINTER SKILL COURSES.
Winter Skills - 2 Days - 17/03