Women's Winter Skills Week - Aviemore - 30th Jan - 4th Feb - Hostel included
A magnificent week of Winter Skills, walking, socialising and meeting other women who enjoy the Winter too! There will be 5 days out in the Cairngorms, as well as 5 nights of relaxing and socialising. Accommodation is included.
Time & Location
30 Jan, 18:00 GMT – 04 Feb, 16:00 GMT
Aviemore, 25 Grampian Rd, Aviemore PH22 1PR, UK
About the Event
On this 5 Day course you will learn all the core skills required to stay safe in Scottish Winter. You will finish the course confident with kit selection, personal movement, route planning and preparation, winter navigation, the use of axes and crampons to keep your self safe as well as how to be independent and competent in our winter mountains. No winter experience is needed!
This week has been designed to give Women a chance to come out for a week of Winter Skills in an inclusive and relaxing environment, where the main focus is to get out and learn the skills we need to stay safe in Scottish Winter, but also do this in a manner that is not intimidating or pressurising. With accommodation included, all you need to do is tip up and bring yourself.
The course is based from Aviemore Youth Hostel, Cairngorm National Park
We will all meet on the Sunday 30th January at the Youth Hostel. Check in is from 5pm and we will meet in the Lounge area at 8pm for an Introduction to the week so we can all meet eachother.
31st Jan - 4th Feb - Winter Skills Course. You will checkout on Friday 4th Feb before our final hill day, unless you would like to book yourself in for the Firday night too (Get in touch if you would like to do this)
On each day, we will meet at the Hostel at 9am and head out for a day in the hills. We will finish each day around 5pm. There will be an optional rest/easier day on the Wednesday. On the final day, we will finish a little earlier to allow for journeys home etc. You will have plenty of time over the week to gain and practise all the skills needed to keep yourself safe in Scottish winter.
The course will cover/include:
- 5 nights accommodation at the Aviemore Youth Hostel! (5pm 30th Jan Checkin- 4th Feb AM checkout)
- 5 days out in the magnificent hills around Glencoe - including shorter skills day and longer mountain journeys
- Hire of Crampon, Ice Axe and helmet (booked at registration)
- Personal kit selection and appropriate use of kit
- Route planning and preperation
- Avalanche and snowpack Awareness
- Winter navigation skills
- Use of an ice axe for personal movement including cutting steps, self arrest and self belay.
- Use of crampons in ascent/decent, including kicking steps.
- Emergency Procedures in the hills
This course will not include:
- Food for the week - The hostel is Self Catering, though you can add breakfast to your booking at the hostel when you arrive (~£4/day) and we will walk into town (<5 min walk) to eat dinner together on a few evenings (this is optional). There are plenty of food shops and eateries within walking distance of the hostel. Not including food makes it easier for those with special dietry requirements or preferences to make sure they get what is good for them.
- Transport - Though I can help with this if you are coming by train :)
Essential kit for you to have:
- Waterproof Jacket (WITH hood)
- Waterproof Trousers
- Insulated jacket/coat
- Fleece layer/jumper
- Mountain Boots (B2/B3, stiff bottommed boots - these can be hired at an additional cost of £30)
- Medium size rucksack (with waterproof liner, or dry bags)
- 2 x Gloves (At least 1 waterproof pair)
- Sunglasses or Sun Hat
- Buff or Balaclava
- Head torch and spare batteries
- Walking pole(s)
- Food and Drink for the day
- Thermos flask is recommended so that you can have a hot drink!
- Personal Medication and First Aid Kit
- Foil survival bag
- Emergency Whistle
- Waterproof map of the area (Or non-waterproof map in waterproof cover) I will let you know which map nearer the time.
- Compass (Silva Expedition Type 4 is recommended)
- Waterproof socks
Essential kit that can be hired (bring your own if you have them!)
- Crampons (12 point, with anti-balling plate)
- Ice Axe – 50 – 65cm, straight walking axe These 3 peices of kit can be booked at checkout!
- Helmet (Suitable for Climbing/Mountaineering)
Recommended Kit for the evenings etc
- Comfy clothes
- Spare footwear for walking into town/around the hostel
Get in touch if you would like more details.This is one of my favourite courses of the year, I'm already looking forward to it!
Women's Winter Week